– 8-10 oz basmati rice, rinsed
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 2 onions, chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, chopped
– 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
– 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
– ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
– ½ tsp ground cumin
– 1 tbsp fried onions
– 2 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
– 1 tsp ground coriander
– a pinch of nutmeg
– ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
– ¼ tsp turmeric
– 6 fl oz natural yogurt
– 1 tsp sugar
– 3 tbsp raisins or sultanas
– salt and black pepper
– Boil the rice in 3 pts water with a little salt for 8 minutes, stirring once and keeping the water at a rolling boil.
– Drain and reserve. Meanwhile, thinly slice the chicken breast.
– In a large saucepan or casserole with a tight fitting lid heat the oil and fry the onion, ginger and garlic for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
– Add the chicken, raise the heat and stir fry for 3 minutes.
– Add all the ground spices and stir again for a few seconds.
– Add the yogurt and stir for one minute, then add the sugar and raisins or sultanas and stir again. Check seasoning.
– Put the rice on top then cover the saucepan with foil or a damp tea towel and put the lid on tightly.
– Reduce the heat to low and cook undisturbed for 10 minutes.
– Remove from heat and rest, still covered, for 5 minutes.
– Uncover, sprinkle with the garnishes and serve.